GMD COVID-19 Updates
Grout Museum/SBIVM Hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
The Planetarium is closed and undergoing a renovation.
The Bluedorn Science Imaginarium has reopened. Hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM, 1:00-4:00 PM.
Science Demonstrations: Tuesday-Saturday at 11 AM, 1:30 and 3 PM
The safety of our visitors and staff is of the highest concern. With that in mind, we will be enforcing the following policies:
- Grout/Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum: If unvaccinated, masks required. If vaccinated, masks not required.
- Imaginarium: Masks required
- If you do not have or forget your mask, they will be available for purchase at the Museum Store for $1.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the Museum Store and at other points throughout the building.
- Guests are asked to social distance when necessary.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!
Other Grout Museum District safety policies:
We are offering a virtual exhibit exploration/field trip option of our current exhibit Remember the Ladies: The Path to Suffrage. Learn more.
At Home Learning with the Grout Museum District: Discovery Kits or Teas To-Go are great ways to bring the fun of traditional Grout Museum programming to your home! Each themed Discovery Kit or Tea comes with an exclusive instructional video, craft or science experiment supplies, fun toys and more. Learn more and purchase now.
Are you missing the Grout Museum District? Pretend like you're here during your next Zoom meeting with one of our free backgrounds!
Grout Museum Exterior
Thursday, March 12, 2020
The safety and well-being of our staff, volunteers, and visitors is our highest priority. As concern regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in the United States and our region is increasing, we want you to know that we are closely following official government recommendations and the advice of the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the Iowa Department of Public Health, the Black Hawk County Health Department, and the City of Waterloo.
The Grout Museum District is following the guidance of public health officials and staying open with regular business hours. While we are operating as usual, we are also working on a contingency plan and preparing for changing circumstances. Should we decide to cancel or postpone any scheduled events, we will do our best to communicate this message to you in a timely manner. Please check our website for the latest information.
Here’s how the Museum District is responding:
• Hand sanitizers will be available at the front desks and throughout District sites
• Staff are regularly sanitizing high traffic surfaces
• All staff and volunteers are washing hands frequently with soap and water as per CDC guidelines
• We are requiring staff and volunteers to remain home if any signs of illness are present
Our recommendations for visitors:
• Wash hands frequently with soap and water
• Avoid touching your face (especially eyes, nose, and mouth)
• If you were planning to visit the Museum but have symptoms of illness, please stay home
• Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and throw tissues away after each use (then wash your hands for 20+ seconds!)
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick
For other updates from the CDC visit their website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
For more information about how Iowans are being affected, visit: https://idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus
We are monitoring the evolving situation closely and will announce any further changes and updates. Thanks for your understanding and support.