History of Museum

History of Museum

A playground for the Imagination!

The Carl A. and Peggy J. Bluedorn Science Imaginarium opened in 1993 in response to the increased interest in the Grout's science programs. Described as a "playground for the imagination," this interactive science center provides fun hands-on exhibits that demonstrate how science affects everyday life. The hands-on science center makes learning scientific principles fun through interactive exhibits and formal demonstrations. Exhibits focus on light and electricity, momentum, liquids, gases and sound.

About the Imaginarium's Namesake

Carl A. Bluedorn was born April 10, 1909, in Walcott Iowa, to Rudolph and Rosa Seibke Bluedorn. Carl received his B.S. (1931) from Iowa State College (university) in civil engineering. He joined Zeidler’s Inc., a concrete manufacturer in Waterloo Iowa, in 1932. He was soon promoted to General Manager (1936), President (1946), and Chairman (1972).

Carl was a very active supporter of Iowa State University throughout his life and was honored with several awards in recognition of his support and professional accomplishments. Bluedorn was also very active in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls community where he resided. He and his wife, Peggy, provided financial support for both the Carl and Peggy Bluedorn Science Imaginarium at the Grout Museum District in Waterloo and the Gallagher-Bluedorn performing Arts Center on the University of Northern Iowa campus in Cedar Falls.

Carl Bluedorn died July 8, 1997 in Waterloo Iowa.